Today we want to talk about the not so pleasant part of the holidays, your plumbing. Let's be real, the holidays are great and all but it never fails after everything slows down you start noticing your plumbing slowing down too - food lingering in the sink longer than you'd like, shower water pooling up at the bottom of your shower, I could go on - but I think you get it.
So, here are a couple options to help wash away the holiday sludge and hopefully get you back in working order.
1. Run lots of water down line when using the garbage disposal to get all of the solids washed down the line. (Hint: if you put a lime in your disposal it helps with the smell too!)
2. Make sure to have proper strainers on sinks and tubs to avoid letting hair and other nasties get into the pipes.
3. Boil a pot of water, pour baking soda into the drain, pour vinegar into the drain, dump boiling water into sink after it quits fizzing.
4. STAY AWAY FROM USING ACIDS TO TRY AND SPEED UP YOUR DRAINS. Acids will deteriorate cast iron. It does more harm than good!
5. Flushing rock salt down the toilet occasionally can slow the growth of roots in your pipes. (We know this is more of a year-round chore, but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?)
All of these things may not solve your problems entirely (and maybe before the holiday's hit is a good time to try them out?), so if not, keep us in mind. We can come out and run a snake as well as a few other tricks and be out of your hair in no time!
Happy Holiday season from us here at Brian's!